Friday, December 11, 2009

Landmarks

Today is a day that marks an exciting time in mine and my husband's life together. One year ago this very day we exchanged our vows before God, our family, and friends, and it marked one of the happiest days of my life. Now, as I reflect on the ups and downs over the past 365 days, I find that I am happier today than I was then; I have learned some of life's profound lessons as well as a few of the silly ones, and I would like to take the time to elaborate on two of those lessons now.

Firstly and most importantly, I am even more aware of God's loving mercies and caring provisions. There is not a day that goes by where the Lord does not prove his goodness - I just have to keep my spiritual eyes open.

Secondly, I am more in love with my husband today than yesterday. Our relationship is not perfect, as we are merely human beings who stumble, but we have learned the art of compromise, the science of battle selection, and the math of communication. These three essential subjects coupled with a centering foundation on Jesus' love has allowed us to grow closer to each other, not faulter apart. Therefore, I have a newly found value for adversity - while I do not wish for it often, I am thankful when it comes because the Lord ALWAYS helps us through, and we are left a stronger structure in Christ.

On a lighter note, marriage has helped me find a unique appreciation for some things previously experienced but now better understood:

movie nights, hugs, quiet time, Saturday mornings, coupons, anything free, crock pots, toilet seats, candles, tooth brush caps, shaved legs, good old "Aunt Flow..."

And by the way, I absolutely love living with my best friend, and I cannot wait to reflect on life's lessons on love forty-nine years from now.

No comments:

Post a Comment